The 16AA is probably best described as a MilSim Unit. A multinational gaming group that is based on the British Army's 16 Air Assault Brigade, we have taken the ethos, structure and tactics from one of the World's finest armies and adapted it to the game we play. Like many other MilSim groups playing ARMA 2, we enjoy playing the game in the most realistic way possible, utilising real world tactics and making the most of what the Real Virtuality engine has to offer. While we know when to get serious to get the job done, at the end of the day we enjoy playing with the friends we have made. We consider ourselves a mature group of gamers, in both mentality and (unfortunately :)) age and whilst we do have a minimum-age limit, the right attitude is what is most important to us. From the moment you apply with us, that attitude is what we will be assessing. Are you mature enough? Do you use your initiative? Are you listening and learning? ... and ... are you committed to becoming part of this unit? If you feel you're answering yes to those questions and are ready to continue on the path to becoming a member with 16AA...
What you will need
In order to join the 16AA, you will need a few things first. The below briefly lists the key components you'll need before you join us:
- ArmA II Combined Operations  - ArmA II Combined Operations is a requirement for membership in the 16AA. Whether this is the purchased pack or ArmA II and Operation Arrowhead seperately doesn't matter. Without this you will not be able to join us however.
- TeamSpeak 3  - TeamSpeak 3 and a working microphone is our second requirement. Without this you will not be able to communicate with us. Don't worry too much about what version TeamSpeak 3 you are running, as our modpack includes the required version anyway. Key thing is, you can speak to us on our TeamSpeak Server.
- Yoma Addonsync  - Addonsync is required to download the modpacks we use. We run an Addonsync Server for our members, which is an easy way of ensuring everyone's always on the same page. With addonsync comes the willingness to download additional mods. For a full list of mods that we use, check this page.
- British Armed Forces DLC (Recommended)  - Though it's not a requirement, we recommend purchasing the British Armed Forces DLC Pack as well. All of our missions use the BAF Characters, so playing without the DLC may result in some below-par graphics for you. This one is strictly down to you though. If you can put up with poor character models, then don't worry.
Step 1. Your Application
Your first step in becoming a member of our group is to complete an application  . To do this you will need to go to our Enlistment Form and complete it with as much detail as possible. Be sure to complete all of the portions of the application form. If you have a concern or a question on any of these, feel free to post it in the Nags Head forum or hop on TeamSpeak and ask us.
Remember when filling out the form that we want to know about you. A full, descriptive application will stand a much higher chance of being accepted than a one-liner. Once your application is posted it one of our members will need to review your application before sending you a Private Message detailing further steps. So, be patient!
Step 2. The Interview
Once your application has been posted and was reviewed by one of our guys helping in RRO, you will receive a PM with directions for your next step. This step is the interview! At this point you will be expected to have Teamspeak 3 downloaded and installed. You will also need to respond to the PM listing a few times that will suit you for the interview. The interview will take about 10-15 minutes. Here a couple of things you should know:
- This is where you will be making your first impression on us, so make sure it's the one you want us to remember.
- You may not be told immidiately whether you have passed or failed the Interview as an NCO or higher will need to sign off before you can be accepted as Recruit.
- Some of the questions might seem repetitive or silly, but we are trying to get an assessment of you as well as confirming the things you have already listed in your application.
- Ask questions! This is a two-way chat. While we are forming an opinion on you, you should be doing the same on our group. Are you unsure of something? Get clarification - it's what we're here for.
- After your interview a Lance Corporal or higher will need to review your application and approve it before you are accepted as a Recruit! Once accepted though, your username will change to "Rec YourSurname" and you will begin your next step in becoming a member in this unit.
Step 3. Phase 1 Training
After passing the application process, you will be given your Recruit Tags and forum access to the Recruit Section. Your next step will be to pass Phase 1 within the next week or two. Some notes you should keep in mind:
- Phase 1 is as much about skills as it is about determination, initiative and will to be a part of this group. Recruits that show up, don't listen and think they know it all, will very quickly find themselves either with a rude awakening or outside the gate.
- Come prepared. Read what is on the forums; the information is there for you to absorb and guides you along the way. Our Training Articles that you will see a link to should be read ... at least the Phase 1 parts. Having an idea of what will happen will help you do it quicker and better and the whole Phase 1 Training will be more enjoyable for you and the Instructors.
- If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. This is the key one that we find Recruits falling down on. Just because you didn't pass everything the first go, does not mean you need to quit. If you do, it's saying something your character and chances are you won't have the opportunity for a second chance for long.
- Watch, listen, learn, ask. Ask questions if you don't understand something. Your next step after Phase 1 is the front lines with a Section. You should be confident that you can at least give keeping up with them a good solid go. You won't be able to do that if you don't understand everything you've done in Phase 1.
Once you've passed Phase 1 you will then be assigned to a Section by Platoon HQ and promoted to Private. Congratulations, you are now a member of the 16AA!
- End of Joining